San Juan Capistrano adobe tours are available upon request at 10:00 am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a reservation or call 949-551-1914.
Tours Given at Historic Sites:
Blas Aguilar Adobe
In 1794, the Mission San Juan Capistrano built a number of adobes, such as Blas Aguilar Adobe, to house soldiers and the local Juaneños who worked at the Mission.
In 1840, Don Blas Aguilar purchased two of these adobes, which he named “La Hacienda Aguilar”. The north wing was called “Casa de Esperanza” (House of Hope), which is now Blas Aguilar Adobe. It is the only adobe still standing on the east side of the original Mission Plaza. The south wing adobe was called “La Casa Tejada”, which, unfortunately, is not longer stand, but the footprint is shown with paving stones.
It is our goal to make the Blas Aguilar Adobe a museum that will house artifacts reflecting the different historical periods of San Juan Capistrano and the surrounding area, while accurately serving to educate its visitor.
This education proceeds through the presentation of artifacts, photographs, pictures, lectures and “hands-on education”. The Blas Aguilar Adobe, which once played a role in the founding and building of San Juan Capistrano’s past, will now serve as an important learning tool for all to view this rich history.
The Blas Aguilar Adobe Museum is maintained and operated by the Blas Aguilar Adobe Foundation, a non-profit organization. The museum is open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. as well as by appointment.
For more information or to make an appointment, please contact the Blas Aguilar Adobe Foundation at (949) 751-7258.
The Montañez Adobe (31745 Los Rios Street) is believed to be one of the original 40 adobes constructed by mission Indians in 1794. The Montanez Adobe was the home of Doña Polonia. Between 1886 and 1910, the Montañez Adobe gained spiritual significance following the secularization of the Mission. Doña Polonia created a tiny chapel in the adobe which became the village sanctuary. She was the spiritual leader for the community as well as the village midwife and nurse.