The Montañez Adobe (31745 Los Rios Street) is believed to be one of the original 40 adobes constructed by mission Indians in 1794. The Montanez Adobe was the home of Doña Polonia. Between 1886 and 1910, the Montañez Adobe gained spiritual significance following the secularization of the Mission. Doña Polonia created a tiny chapel in the adobe which became the village sanctuary. She was the spiritual leader for the community as well as the village midwife and nurse.